Categories Bar

Monday, August 31, 2015

Wasaga Beach Triathlon

This was my third race of the year with Multisport Canada and was very happy to see the later start time at 10:30, meaning I could sleep in and still get to the race.

The swim takes place in Georgian Bay and provided for some rough waters to start the race. Although I am not afraid of these type of conditions, I have little practice in them and was uneasy about how it would go. I tried to find feet at the start but ended up losing them as we got closer to the first turn buoy and found myself swimming with Andrew Bolton and Jack Laundry.

 This became my motto for the swim and was glad to get out.

My only goal in this race was to have a really fast bike split, hoping to get close to an average of 38km/hr. However, once I was on my bike a heavy week of training seemed to catch up with me and my legs were burning. I avoided getting any draft from a couple men that passed me as I wanted to know how fast I could do the course, not how fast I could do it with assistance. For the first 15km I got the gap between Angela and myself down from over a minute to about 20 seconds, however those men that I avoided drafting caught up to her and the three of them used the 5meter drafting rule to its full advantage. There is no doubt that at 5 meters you still get a significant amount of drafting effect and I got extremely frustrated as I saw them pulling away from me, after I had been catching them. I did my best to keep my head in the game for the rest of the ride although will admit that I was more than a little pissed getting off the bike. (I am not saying they were cheating, it was smart racing; but I do think that the drafting rules should be changed for pros/elite age groupers so that we can have a fair race).

In transition I was surprised to hear Steve Fleck say that I was only a minute down from Angela (we ended up with almost identical bike splits). I put my shoes and socks on and headed out onto the run course. I made quick work of the minute and just past the 2km mark I passed Angela and didn’t look back. My run split was as terrible as it has been all year so not much to say about that.

Thanks to Multisport Canada for another great race venue- I will be in Georgina in 2 weeks and then Barrelman after that. See you there!


Thanks again to those supporting me: Nineteen Wetsuits, Blade Carbon wheels, Louis Garneau, Skechers, C3 and Kristen Pawlick from Wishbone Athletics. 

2 comments:

  1. Art here (grey bike, black kit, terrible cornering skills, we passed each other many times in the early going)

    If it helps, I don't think Angela got much of a tow off me, as I passed her fairly quickly around 25-30km. She caught back up as we got back into town and my "OH NO A TURN I'M GOING TO DIE" approach to cornering took hold once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete